How does the Data Protection & Privacy Office support you and your organization?
On the 31st of March, the National Cyber Security Authority (NCSA) launched the data protection office, which will lead the implementation of law Nº 058/2021 of 13/10/2021 relating to the protection of personal data and privacy.
Individuals and organizations affected by the law on personal data protection and privacy may be curious to understand the mission of the DPO and specific functions that will provide guidance and support to those in need of reaching compliance.
Mission and functions of the Data Protection & Privacy Office
The mission of the data protection office is to ensure protection of personal data and guarantee the privacy of individuals in Rwanda.
The functions of NCSA’s data protection office are:
- Oversee the implementation of this law
- Respond to every legitimate request for an opinion regarding personal data processing
- Inform the data subject, the data controller, the data processor and a third party of their rights and obligations
- Put in place a register of data controllers and data processors
- Investigate the subject matter of the complaint lodged by the data subject, the data controller, the data processor or a third party relating to the processing of personal data and inform them of the outcome of the investigation within a reasonable period
- Receive and consider the data subject’s appeal
- Advise on matters relating to the protection of personal data and privacy
- Cooperate with authorities, organizations or entities operating within the country or abroad in the protection of personal data and privacy
With the transitional period ending on 15th October 2023, NCSA requests all organizations that process personal data to put in place all required technical and organizational measures to ensure they are compliant before ending of transitional period.
For any further information, please contact:
Data Protection & Privacy Office